Technology is taking the world of business to places and the main thing that these businesses focus on these days is a strong tech team to deliver the best quality work.
The insurgency in remote work leveled up the efficiency and output of certain companies. With digital technology advancing on a day-to-day basis, it is only possible for people to come up with new and unique solutions by collaborating with developers all across the globe and not only those present there and then.
If you’re on the outlook for remote developers, here is a comprehensive guide.
Detailed Guide For Hiring Remote Developers
A step-by-step process that will help you in hiring the best developers for your organization:
Step 1: Define the job description
When hiring for a remote developer, clearly define what you need for your business and evaluate an individual based on those needs. Clearly mention the terms and conditions on the job description when looking for a remote worker. Mention that you’re open to working with people from anywhere in the world which is the best thing about remote work, having all the talent from all over the world.
Step 2: Advertise
Look for remote developers on different job portals or organizations like Upwork, Fiverr, and Gaper.io which support remote work. Advertise your job description and look for suitable candidates for it.
Step 3: Screening the selected candidates
After selecting a few candidates based on their profiles for the job, now conduct technical interviews and quizzes to completely assess their technical skills. Technical skills are the main source of your business’s productivity and are crucial when hiring a remote developer. Try to cover all the details that you want in your tests and interviews so that it may not cause any discrepancies in the future.
Step 4: Communicate
Hold a video conference to get a gist of their personality and learn about their interpersonal skills, communication skills, and how they are as a person because all these factors play a crucial role in remote work. Ask them questions like how many hours can they commit to work per day and what platforms suit them well, etc.
Step 5: Hire
The last step is to hire the best fit for your problem description, to go for the most suitable candidate. Someone who is technically smart but also holds the personal skills to make remote work function properly!
Tips And Tricks
When hiring remote developers, some things to keep in mind are:
- Before hiring developers or a development team for some dedicated task, clearly know why you want to hire them and what you require of them to produce efficient outcomes. Know your business requirements and the skills necessary to tackle them and you’re good to go.
- To evaluate a developer completely, hold technical tests and interviews which will assess the individual’s capability for you and if they’re the right fit or not.
- Keep things flexible and easy. Give your fellow developers the time and mind to think and do things their way. Communicate through a channel on an everyday basis to avoid any miscommunication.
- Choose the right platform to hire remote developers like Upwork and Fiverr which offer you freelancers so you may hire them for specific tasks or from organizations like Gaper.io and Toptal which craft a whole team of vetted remote developers for you based on your project/problem.
- Discuss the SOW (Statement Of Work) which helps you document the work requirements and skills needed to fulfill those requirements.
Skills To Look For In a Candidate
The overall skills to look for in a remote candidate can be as follows:
- Interpersonal skills like communication skills and time management, and the ability to work in groups or teams. Especially crucial for remote workers because they are prone to work over online platforms like Google meet and zoom where communication plays a key role.
- The overall technical skills as per your needs.
- The right mind and an optimistic one that radiates positive work energy which proves to be healthy for any organization.
Over the years, remote work has proven to be efficient as it brings out the best in individuals by increasing their productivity and benefits the organization by increasing the global workforce hence the talent. Therefore, it is likely that more and more organizations will be out hiring remote workers in almost all fields. And by the looks of it, as the demand for developers has skyrocketed people will be out for hiring developers even more. Follow this step-by-step guide to make your hiring process easy.