Whether it’s the world of anime or manga, Chainsaw Man is making news in every area and for all the right reasons. This title features one of the strongest and most unique characters anime fans have witnessed in a long time. They are funny, charming, and extremely dangerous. But none of that would have been possible without Pochita. Now, if you don’t know who is Pochita in Chainsaw Man, this is the only article you need to learn about this cute yet menacing character. We have covered the origin story, powers, and even weaknesses of Pochita in this detailed guide. There is a lot to unfold, so let’s dive in!
Who is Pochita in Chainsaw Man? (Explained)
Spoiler Warning: Our guide contains spoilers about characters, their abilities, and the plot of Chainsaw Man’s Public Safety Arc. We suggest you watch the Chainsaw Man anime or read the manga first, at least till chapter 104, to avoid ruining the story.
Who is Pochita in Chainsaw Man
Pochita is the Chainsaw devil in the Chainsaw Man manga and anime. As we explained in our devils, fiends, and hybrids explainer for Chainsaw Man, Pochita is a devil who is the manifestation of the fear of chainsaws. As revealed in Chapter 87 of the manga, Pochita was in a battle with the four horsemen group of devils before reaching a near-death situation.
In its weakened state, Pochita adopted a cute dog-like look and met Denji (protagonist). Then, their friendship flourished as Denji worked as a devil hunter to pay off his father’s debts to the yakuza. It is then that their bond grows to such a powerful state that Pochita offers to take over Denji’s heart and save his life, ultimately creating the Chainsaw Man. In exchange for the power, under a devil contract, Denji shared his dreams with Pochita.
Is Pochita Dead or Alive?
In the first episode of the Chainsaw Man anime, it appears that Pochita sacrifices himself to save Denji’s life. But rest assured that this cute and dangerous devil is still alive and active. It has only changed state and now acts as Denji’s heart. This is confirmed when Pochita gets in touch with Denji and Power subconsciously towards the end of the Public Safety Arc in the CSM manga.
Pochita (Chainsaw Man) Forms
Now that you know who is Pochita in Chainsaw Man, it’s time to go over this devil’s various forms that exist in the CSM universe. These include:
- Devil Form
- Weakened/Near-Death Form
- Hybrid Form/Chainsaw Man
Original Devil Form
The devil form is the original and most powerful form of Pochita. It is the only form that can practically eliminate any devil from existence. More of that later. In terms of appearance, this devil form portrays Pochita as a human with four arms. And then, you get a chainsaw for its head, along with four chainsaws extending out from all its arms.
And to complete the sinister look, Pochita’s devil form has its own intestines wrapped around its neck. There are also sharp horns on top of the chainsaw head and a stone-like armor covering most of his skin.
If the contract between Pochita and Denji is broken, under any circumstance, Pochita gains full control over Denji’s body and turns into his true devil form. It is much more powerful than the hybrid Chainsaw Man form (described below), but it also hampers the human side of the character.
Weakened/ Near-Death Form
In his weakest state, Pochita becomes a tiny and cute dog-like creature that we are introduced to in the initial episodes of the Chainsaw Man anime. In this state, Pochita isn’t strong enough to fight on its own. But it acts as a reliable weapon that we see Denji wield and use as a chainsaw to fend off small-time devils to earn a living.
Hybrid Form/ Chainsaw Man
In the anime, the current form of Pochita is Denji’s heart (see how it looks right here). To save Denji from dying, Pochita fused himself with Denji’s heart, which resulted in creating the Chainsaw Man hybrid. Even in this state, Pochita looks pretty similar to his cute but weakened form. But he no longer has its signature chainsaw on its head. Instead, it’s replaced by a cord that hangs out of Genji’s chest. Whenever this cord is pulled, Denji sees chainsaws rev out of his head and arms, gaining the strength of the chainsaw devil and becoming Chainsaw Man.
Chainsaw Man Pochita: Powers
Every devil has some common abilities that it shares with the rest of the devil clan in the CSM world. Beyond those, each devil has a set of special abilities that resonate with the type of fear they embody. We have included both sets of powers in individual sections here:
Common Devil Abilities
The common abilities that Pochita and most devils have include:
- Healing: Be it any form, Pochita can drink blood to quickly heal itself. But in the complete devil state, he can even generate without the requirement of blood. This ability is first seen in the opening segment of Chainsaw Man, where Pochita feasts on Denji’s blood to heal itself.
- Durability: In its devil and hybrid form, Chainsaw Man can handle explosions, direct combat, and even extreme heat with little to no damage. Pochita’s durability is fully put to the test in Chapter 89 when Makima uses a variety of attacks on a weakened Chainsaw Man, but he still survives.
- Strength: When compared to a human or a fiend, Pochita has extreme physical strength, which allows him to deal massive damage to enemies. This is attested to by the War devil in manga chapter 104 when it claims that Pochita was able to take on the Four Horsemen and was even able to consume parts of it.
- Speed: Most enemies are unable to keep up with Pochita’s speed. He can rev up and slice enemies even before they have a chance to react. The same can be witnessed in Chapter 87, where Pochita kills Makima’s henchmen as soon as they make contact with him.
The powers exclusive to Chainsaw devil or Pochita are as follows:
- Chainsaw: Since he is the embodiment of the fear of chainsaws, Pochita can turn its head, arms, and legs into chainsaws. Then, they can be used to dismember enemies in no time. This ability is commonly displayed in all CSM fights.
- Regeneration: Taking healing to the next level, Pochita can easily regenerate body parts and even a temporary independent body, if required. This power is taken to its limits in Chapter 95 when Pochita creates a second independent body to deceive Makima.
- Chains: Pochita can unhook chains that are part of his chainsaws and use them as a weapon as well. He uses these chains to wrap his opponent’s bodies on multiple occasions. But in the right situation, he hooks the chains to buildings for faster, an almost Spider-Man-like movement, as claimed by Beam in Chapter 95.
- Devil Erasure: Generally, devils are sent to hell when they die on Earth and vice versa. But, if the Chainsaw devil consumes a devil, it ceases to exist. This power only works in Pochita’s complete devil form but is powerful enough to make the enemy disappear – not only physically but even from people’s memory. The manga is yet to explain why Pochita has this powerful ability and how it works. One big example of erasure is seen in Chapter 84 when Kishibe couldn’t remember AIDS or World Wars, and Makima tells him it’s because the corresponding devils have been consumed by Pochita.
- Partial Devil Elimination: As revealed in the second arc of Chainsaw Man, if Pochita consumes only part of a devil, then that devil and its concept gets weakened. But consuming a part doesn’t entirely eliminate that devil from existence. A living example is the War devil, whose body parts were consumed by Pochita. Thus, everyone in the world remembers the concept of war, but no actual war has since happened on Earth.
Chainsaw Man: Pochita Weakness
Much like any other devil in the Chainsaw Man universe, Pochita gains power by the number of people fearing him and loses power due to the lack of fear. This also extends to the fear of chainsaws among humans, in general. That means if people no longer fear chainsaws, this devil’s existence would be in jeopardy.
Not to forget, Pochita has a soft corner for Denji. So, if an enemy wants to harm Pochita, targeting the human side of Denji would be a reliable plan. Other than these elements, there is almost no known weakness of Pochita for now. But we can expect the upcoming chapters of Chainsaw Man to put his abilities to the test and reveal more of his weak spots.
Why Does Every Devil Want Chainsaw Man’s Heart
As you might have guessed, Pochita is the only devil that holds the power to eliminate another devil from existence. Every other devil can practically only kill others and make them move between dimensions – hell and earth. However, Pochita can consume a devil and completely delete their existence using Devil Erasure. Once a devil has been deleted, no signs of existence are left behind for that devil. No one even remembers that such a devil or the fear it stems from ever existed.
Such power is truly game-changing for the devil and the human world alike. So, for that reason, some devils want to capture the Chainsaw Man’s heart, and thus, Pochita in the hybrid form, to control this power. Others simply want to kill Chainsaw Man or Pochita to get rid of such immense power. Though, since only Pochita can delete devils from existence, killing him wouldn’t be as simple as it sounds.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does Chainsaw Man “Pochita” mean?
In Japanese, the term “pochi” is used to refer to small things. It is also a common name for dogs in Japan. Meanwhile, “ita” is most commonly used to refer to things that “were there”. Though, some fans in the community suspect that the name could have been derived from the popular chainsaw brand Makita. Pochita even shares a similar appearance to that brand’s orange chainsaw (pictured above).
How did Denji meet Pochita?
Denji met Pochita at his father’s grave. At that time, Pochita was in an injured state and Denji offered him his blood to help the devil heal.
What is Pochita the devil of?
Pochita is the chainsaw devil who gains power from the fear of chainsaws.
What happens to Pochita?
To save Denji from death and carry forward his dreams, Pochita sacrifices his body and turns into Denji’s heart. While doing so, he also shares all his chainsaw devil powers with Denji.
Pochita in Chainsaw Man: Everything You Need to Know
Now, you are familiar with one of the most important characters in Chainsaw Man manga and anime. But this is not the end of Pochita’s story. In fact, one can argue that it hasn’t even reached its first level. So, make sure to bookmark this page to witness the evolution of the Chainsaw devil, Pochita, as the story goes on. And not to forget, Pochita is only one of the many fascinating and unique characters in this Chainsaw Man franchise, which has multiple references to movies and animes in its opening sequence. So, which other character do you want us to explore next? Tell us in the comments below!